I usually reserve Mondays for posts about organizations and events helping the people and pets of Austin. But this time I’m making an exception because the causes are too good and the need is too great to wait even a few more days.
Stuff the Bus
Capital Metro and Whole Foods are working to bring 30,000 much needed meals to hungry families in the Austin area, and they need your help to cram those buses full of tasty, healthy food.
Here’s the deal, in their own words because I couldn’t say it better if I tried:
This holiday season, Capital Metro, Whole Foods Market and the Capital Area Food Bank work in unison to help feed hungry Central Texans by hosting the 3rd Annual “Stuff the Bus” food drive Dec. 12-14! Help us fill 2 entire Capital Metro buses with food to provide 30,000 meals for families in need. Donate non-perishable food items at any Central Texas Whole Foods Market store Dec. 12-14!
Three ways to participate:
- Bring your donations from home: Drop-off at any in-store collection bin OR take donations straight to the two buses parked at the Downtown and Domain stores!
- Visit Whole Foods Market Dec. 12-14 and fill a brown bag with non-perishable items OR purchase pre-packed brown bags at the Downtown store.
- Add a donation dollar amount to your final in-store purchase total at the register.
Bus Collection Sites: Open Dec. 12-14 | 10 am – 6 pm
- Whole Foods Market Downtown: 525 N Lamar Blvd.
- Whole Foods Market Domain: 11920 Domain Drive
All proceed benefit the Capital Area Food Bank.
Of course, all food needs to be in its orginal, sealed packaging. And only non-perishable foods can be accepted. It’s so simple to add a few cans and boxes of food to your next shopping trip or two, or buy one of the prepackaged food bags at Whole Foods and they’ll take care of getting it on tables that might otherwise be empty.
And lest pet-friendly Austin neglects its beloved furry citizens, there is another awesome campaign running to keep dog and cat bowls filled.
The Pound for Pound Food Drive
Tomlinson pet food has launched their annual double-the-donations food drive to benefit homeless pets and rescue groups throughout Austin. Here’s how it works, in their own words:
“Our annual food drive for local animal rescues is on. From Black Friday to Christmas Eve, all food donations made will be DOUBLED–pound for pound.
Here’s how you can help:
- Drop by any Tomlinson’s location. (There are nine locations around Austin.)
- Upon checkout, donate a small, medium, or large bag of pet food.
- Check a box for the rescue to which you would like your donation to go.
After Dec. 24, we will collect your donations–doubled by our generous vendors–and distribute them to your choice of the following rescues:
Austin Boxer Rescue
Austin Dog Rescue
Austin Siamese Rescue
Animal Trustees 4Paws
Bastrop Animal Shelter
Blue Dog Rescue
Canyon Lake Animal Shelter
Central Texas SPCA
Diamond Dachshund Rescue
Greyhound Rescue Central TX
Pug Rescue of Austin
San Antonio Dusty Paws
TX Great Pyrenees
TX Humane Heroes
Wags, Hope, & Healing
Their goal? To provide 100,000 of pet food. That’s enough to feed 400 homeless dogs for all of 2015!
So now you see why I couldn’t wait until Monday to share this information! We all need to help get the word out, too. Won’t you please share this post or the information in it with everyone you know in Austin? Hungry people and pets are counting on you to keep their tummies full.
Pass it on, please!